Solutions for Survival
Many parts of the world are rapidly confronting a frightening new reality: The climate crisis is already underway, and our governments are failing to rise to the challenge. As our planet’s natural systems become increasingly unstable, people around the world are looking for ways to cope. They are looking for climate solutions.
Solutions 4 Survival is a documentary program that assembles media teams around the world to explore and produce stories on community leaders who are implementing tangible, equitable, and replicable climate solutions. The goal for S4S isn’t just the spread of information–it’s also the spread of inspiration. Through the power of new media, a single video can help catalyze transformation in communities around the world.
In the S4S program, 15 youth media teams are fanning out around the planet. Their focus is on telling powerful stories of replicable solutions: small-scale solar power, holistic agriculture, water, smart urban planning, sustainable transportation, and women’s empowerment.
S4S then links these stories directly to educational and campaign resources, making more climate solutions widely accessible for replication in communities worldwide. By doing so, we will energize the movement base, motivate more people into action, and empower climate NGO’s to upgrade their campaigns.
- Catalogue 200 climate solutions from all over the world, right here.
- Implement a robust new media distribution strategy:
- Partner with key NGO’s who use our media as educational or campaign tools
- Build relationships with major media outlets locally, nationally, internationally.
- Show our “documentary shorts” in film festivals.
- Using social media to ensure exposure far outside “the choir”
- Train 100 youth journalists.
As a result of the program:
- Communities will become more resilient. Citizens worldwide will have access to blueprints for inspirational climate solutions that they can implement locally.
- Youth journalists will become more empowered. By participating in a rigorous program with consistent deadlines and technical support, they will emerge from S4S with the skills, experience, and legitimacy they need to embark upon a new career path.
- Grassroots organizers will become more savvy. The wealth of resources newly available will allow organizers to identify which solutions can and should be replicated on a local, national, or international level.
We focus on young people because youth bring a unique and under-represented viewpoint to the discussion around climate change: Our well-being is on the line, now, and we demand access to the solutions that can safeguard our survival.